Graphic of the week

(Anders Kravis) #42

:open_mouth: Whoa. The rise of passive investing:

(Param Singh) #43

Interesting chart. Would be even more interesting to see the standard deviation for the dataset.

(Anders Kravis) #44

Seems to be a recent trend of IPOs with negative earnings… Throwback Thursday?

(Tom) #45

Do you think this trend is becoming more accepted? Is it the case that companies are growing faster and need to IPO to continue that growth? Or would you think they’re IPO’ing because the market is bullish and will likely over value them?

(Anders Kravis) #46

Can probably make a good case for either side of the argument as to why the recent trend. But it does seem like the tech strategy of “grow first, then monetize” is becoming more accepted by markets (rightly or wrongly is tbd).

(Jacilyn Hayden) #47

So this happened right before the dot com crash, but what about before that?

(Anders Kravis) #48

Any surprises with who spent the most on R&D last year?

(Philip) #49

Reading the footnote, I assume this includes Amazon’s ~$4.5b spend on content for prime video. IMO this should not pass as “research”, as it serves a much shorter-term goal than true tech R&D. Therefore, I believe it skews the message of this graph and should be highlighted/subtracted in the Amazon bar.

(Jamie Perriam) #50

I’m not certain that is the case, actually… according to Amazon’s latest annual results, “Technology and content costs include payroll and related expenses for employees involved in the research and development of new and existing products and services, development, design, and maintenance of our websites, curation and display of products and services made available on our websites, and infrastructure costs.”

Whereas “digital media content costs […] including video and music” is accounted for under “Cost of sales”.

It’s certainly true that Amazon is quite opaque when it comes to breaking down that “technology and content” spending, though. You can read part of the company’s exchange with the SEC on that matter here.

Hope that’s useful!

(Philip) #51

Thanks for digging deeper and breaking that down! The assumption I made on the “content” part in the footnote was obviously false then.
Still misleading terminology, but it makes their overall R&D spend seem even more impressive.

(Anders Kravis) #52

(Ashwin Raja) #53

So this graphic essentially illustrates the wealth distribution in each of these countries relative to one another. While the inequity in the US economy is well documented, France seems to have a much healthier distribution of wealth and this is not highlighted too often. What do you think are the major factors contributing to this and what can other countries learn from the French?

Looking forward to an enlightening conversation :grinning:

(Anders Kravis) #54

(Anders Kravis) #55

(Anna Drescher) #56

I can’t believe it’s doubled! That’s insane. :scream:

(Chris Rogers) #57

This includes people that are tried and not convicted. http://www.politifact.com/new-york/statements/2017/aug/18/andrew-cuomo/yes-one-three-us-adults-have-criminal-record/

(Anna Drescher) #58

Ah that changes things !

(Anders Kravis) #59

(Anders Kravis) #60

Are we reaching internet saturation?

(Edward) #61

The graph below is also from the same source (KPCB Internet Trends Report), and actually uses the same data. I think it’s unrealistic to expect year-on-year growth of internet users to stay at the 14% it was previously since the researchers posit that it has already penetrated to 50% of people worldwide!