Graphic of the week

(Jamie Perriam) #1

You may have noticed a new idea we’re trying out in the email this week: a Graphic of the Week (GotW, as I like to think of it). Last bit of capitalisation optional.

What are your thoughts - on this week’s in particular, and on the concept in general? Would be great to hear your thoughts, and any ideas of what you might like to see here!

(For ref, here’s this week’s graphic:)

1207_TechCash

(Matías Lumainsky) #2

It’s a great idea @jamie_finimize! There are many things to show through a graphic. It would be interesting to relate the graphic of the week to a current event / article as you did with this one. I’m hoping in a couple of weeks to see the graphic of the day!

(Anders Kravis) #3

We’ll test it out weekly and see what we can do :wink:

(Keith Krieger) #4

Love it. Please work hard to keep it simple and understandable on small screens. The share of cash chart is well done.

(Mariano) #5

I love it! I’d also like a ‘Map of the week’ :slight_smile:

(Anna Drescher) #6

What in particular would you want to see featured on the ‘map of the week’?

(Mariano) #7

Well maps are just a particular kind of chart, in a way. I’d like to see something related to current events/article as stated by Matias above about charts. For example this first lovely chart gave us and idea of how much tech titans share of cash is overseas, a map could have given a hint about where that cash is. Do I make sense?

(Curt Scott) #8

Regards the chart- excellent idea! One add, and realize this add could be difficult to decide - a bit more detail to explain the chart - again realize that simplicity has great value - a good, clean graphic perfectly exemplified “one good picture is worth a thousand words”. Keep up the great job!! And concur on maps, same idea, same reasoning. Thanks!!!

(Dave Aakhus) #9

I’m a datavizophile so love the concept. This week’s overseas cash chart is well done but would love to see more of the “so what?” I’m thinking how you could tie it to the US tax reform bill that would make it easier for companies to repatriate their overseas cash and maybe an insight about what the tech community is saying about that. Great job and please keep the CotW coming!

(Scott Kingery) #10

I like it! Somehow make it sharable with a link that gives me credit for new subscribers when I share it :slight_smile:

(Anders Kravis) #11

Great idea! We want to try and do this when you share articles as well in the future

(Omar Morales) #12

love the idea! new, interesting charts are usually the first thing I share with colleagues

(Anna Drescher) #13

That’s amazing! We want to make the charts easily shareable - stay tuned! :raised_hands:

(Mattias Liu) #14

The graphics are very simple to interpret, which further follows Finimize’s core goal to simplify. I like it a lot and I hope to see it continue! It will be useful if Finimize also had a historical fact section. Since Fake News is a hot topic, it is even more important to not only mention Finimize’s news in my conversations, but actual interesting facts that are relevant.

(Anders Kravis) #15

:tada: Happy new year Finimizers!

What are your thoughts on this week’s chart?

(Tom) #16

Really interesting to see how investors don’t tend to have a good January in comparison to November and December. Might provide an interesting debate around when you should enter the market. Love the idea of the GotW.

(Wes Nolte) #17

Do you have a spreadsheet version of this, I’d like to run some analysis on it and post back here!

(Matt D) #18

Wow super interesting. The consistency of last year vs previous is pretty weird - returns on a per month basis are much more modest than the peaks in other years, but no losses. Would be interested to hear some theories as to why.

(Scot Meyer) #19

Global synchronous economic growth across US, Europe, Japan, EM as spurred by/in combination with accommodative monetary policy has greatly reduced volatility in the past few years. When stocks’ performance can be traced to a monetary policy implemented by the Fed, that rising tide is likely to lift all boats.

In this case, that tide has risen slowly. I think this is partly because investors have been reluctant to really jump behind this expansionary cycle/market rally after being BURNED twice in 10 years (2001, 2008). This lack of enthusiasm and low expectations for earnings and economic growth establish a low bar to clear. When the numbers turn up positive, it has slowly helped build momentum. If the numbers were “meh” or negative, investors were unsurprised and any punishment to stocks was less drastic.

Volatility tends to come back towards the end of the cycle as monetary policy becomes less accommodative and sentiment has improved. Stock performance becomes driven more by individual company earnings and you start to see more distinct winners and losers. Heading into 2018, everyone is feeling pretty good about the markets (tax reform, bitcoin, positive earnings, new highs) which makes disappointment more likely. Disappointment can contribute to brining some of the volatility back to the market. Would not be surprised to see some of these more drastic market moves in 2018.

(Annie M) #20

Very interesting graph. I’m curious of what the monthly returns were during the ~1996-1999 years to see if what we’re seeing now is similar to the period leading up to the dot com bubble/crash or if there isn’t a correlation between the two.